Fussy Babies & Unhappy Kids
We can do a lot for infant and child health.
Being a little human is rough work. There are injuries and illnesses that have to be navigated by both of you. Chiropractic is an effective tool to ensure your child’s best health, whether they are just newborn or suddenly taller than you! Following are a few of the problems faces by little ones that Dr. Christie can help make better:
- Gastro-intestinal pain or reflux
- Ear infections
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Growing pains (biomechanical changes of growth)
- Sports injuries
When recovery is needed we can help with treatment.
Determining the best course of treatment will follow a thorough examination based on your child’s injury or illness. The issues and symptoms of your child are unique, so the scope of the evaluation will vary. Several approaches are taken to fully understand your pain. They may include:
- A detailed health history is obtained. This may include the mother’s pregnancy and delivery for infants.
- Vital signs are checked and a general examination is performed.
- Assessment of physical and mental milestones in development.
- Comprehensive evaluations of the injured area in combination with relative reflexes, nerve sensation and muscle strength.
- Orthopedic testing helps to pinpoint the origin of the pain and the extent of the problem.
Following a diagnosis, the creation a treatment plan will be designed with your input. There are three clear objectives in your child’s plan
- Relieve your child’s pain or discomfort.
- Clearly explain your child’s diagnosis and what can be done to help them moving forward.
- Give you, the parent, the tools and information necessary to successfully assist your child in their recovery.
Chiropractic for kids can be pain-free, and we can help you with ongoing home treatment as well.
A combined effort of clinical treatments and “homework” could include:
(A gentler version of chiropractic adjustments is used for infants and children)
- Muscle and soft tissue work
- Lifestyle changes
- Avoidance of “triggers”
Any or all methods can all be utilized in your child’s recovery. A realistic conversation with you will always determine the plan moving forward. Also, taking into account how quickly kids can heal, the treatment plan will be reevaluated and customized at each session—a flexible approach that makes sense. For more information on chiropractic care and children you can visit the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association website.
Many factors play a role in a quick recovery, but your understanding of what can be done, or continued, at home will make a big contribution to your child’s growth and health—and is an important difference in Dr. Christie’s approach. If you are looking for infant and child treatment contact Dr. Christie.
A child’s Eustachian tubes connect the middle ear to the back of the throat. Helping to open these tubes to drain infectious fluid can relieve the symptoms of ear infection. Think of the way your ears pop on an airplane. By massaging the arch (palatoglossal arch) behind your child’s teeth you can help open the Eustachian tube. Gently take your index finger and insert it along the side of the mouth, between the teeth and cheek. When you get to the back of the teeth, take your finger and make a gentle upward massaging motion along the arch. Now repeat on the other side. This can be done several times a day to help drain fluid and relieve the pressure in the ears.
Here to help in Lexington
Dr. Christie is your friendly, conveniently-located, neighborhood chiropractor. She would love to sit down with you for a free, no obligation consultation. Contact her here or call her now at (612) 384-1644.